Monday, November 7, 2011

Good Bye 20's, Hello 30's

Today is my last day in my 20's! Another decade has past - my third here on planet earth. I will never again be in my 20's... kind of strange. This may be a long one, but I have a lot to cover - this has been a really fantastic 10 years.

Things I learned in my 20's:
Life really is about serving my Lord
Friends are seasonal - but the really great ones stick around for a life time
A good marriage is wonderful, humbling and a work in progress
The benefits of hard work are almost always worth the effort
Children are a treasure from God
Parenting is the most rewarding, yet hardest and most stressful job I've ever had
There are a lot more people out there than I thought, that think nothing like I do
God will always take care of me - even if it doesn't look like what I think it should

Things I've accomplished:
Bachelors and Masters Degrees with honors
Becoming a home owner
A little World Traveling - England, Zambia, New Zealand, Fiji, Mexico, Belize, Thailand and Myanmar
Longs Peak 10K - 10,000 foot elevation gain in 45 miles on bike/ hiking in about 17 hours
Olympic Triathlon - .9 swim/ 24.8 bike/ 6.2 run
Giving natural childbirth
Starting my own tiny small business

Random Stats for the 3rd Decade:
# different places I've lived: 14
States I've been to: 31
National Parks I've visited: 11
Different airplanes I've been on: 94
Adventure Sports I tried: 3 (bungy, skydiving, rock climbing)
Employers: 9

Best Times:
Studying Abroad
Getting Married
Traveling - US and abroad
Having and raising a child

Hardest times:
Africa
The first year of marriage
Watching friends and family grieve
Watching my child be in pain

Big areas I'd like to grow in:
Be more Humble
Be less Judgmental
Be more Gracious (especially with my family)

The last 10 years have been completely amazing! God had shaped me, spoiled me and helped me to grow into a better person. He still has a lot of work to do in my heart - but the growing up I did in my 20's was quite dramatic. I went from a wandering, not sure what I was going to do with my life single - to a committed wife, mother and medical professional. Quite a transformation! I've learned that other than commitment to my God, family and friends, I'm not super committed to anything else. I've still never had long term committed job and I quite enjoy contract and PRN work. I enjoy a non routine, routine life. I thrive on change and challenges. I enjoy helping people and helping them get more out of life. I enjoy teaching and still have serious interest in health and nutrition (this is carry over from the teen years). I enjoy seeing the world, experiencing culture and talking to people who see the world through different lenses than my own.
Although life has been really good, life is still hard. I now think it is supposed to be that way - the hard and awful moments in life shape us more than all the others. They shape our passions and help us to focus on the goal of serving the Lord and getting to heaven with others. Pain and suffering makes us compassionate, more loving and helps us to focus on what really matters in life. I pray that what ever pain comes my way, that I don't let it numb me, but that I let it push me forward.
Adulthood is full of joy, hardship and a lot of responsibility. I look forward to the next decade and know God has so much to show me and so many ways to use me for His glory.

Goals for the fourth decade:
Serve the poor
Mentor and be mentored
Spend more time in the Word of God.
Be a more gracious parent and wife
Teach

1 comment:

Ashley Beth said...

Well said! Here's to the next 30 years being filled with even more joy, grace, and love! Hope your birthday was wonderful!