Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cousin Daves Vetern Day Speech to his Elementary School

Here's my Veteran's Day speech to students from this morning's assembly:

Each day at Grandview Elementary we repeat a motto:
Be Respectful. Be Responsible. Be Kind.

Those are values we want each of you to be committed to. However, this morning we’re going to talk about a different word – commitment. The definition of commitment is as follows:

- a promise to do or give something

- a promise to be loyal to someone or something

- the attitude of someone who works very hard to do or support something

The reason I want to talk about the word commitment is because in order to become a Veteran, it takes commitment.

Now, let’s back up – what is a Veteran?
A person who has served in the armed forces

Originally, Veteran’s Day was first known as Armistice Day after the treaty for World War I was signed in 1919.

Then, in 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars not just World War I.

Since then, Americans have become more and more dedicated to not just reflecting on those veterans who fought and/or died in wars but a day to honor ALL veterans. And why should we honor all veterans? We honor them because of that word I first mentioned - commitment.

The men and women seated up here today and all of those not with us but whom are veterans, made a commitment to something bigger than themselves. They promised to serve our country before anything else in their lives. They said goodbye to their families and friends and left their communities to go to far away places in order to protect our freedom.

Some had very amazing or even scary jobs where they were in charge of jet planes or huge cannons or guns. Sometimes they even had to fight with others.

Some had jobs that may have seemed as exciting, like being a mechanic or medic on those planes or boats or maybe they had a job as a communication officer where they sent messages back and forth.

But no matter what job any of these people had, they showed amazing commitment and they did it for you and for me and because of that, I want YOU to be committed to thanking them each and every Veteran’s Day.

Will you do that with me? [insert visual of 400 kids saying "yes"]

I have one more short story. Each and every year I have decided to be committed to calling several veterans who are important to me. I don’t do anything fancy. I don’t buy them presents, I don’t even send them a card, all I do is call. And one of them tells me that because of that simple “thank you” and “Happy Veteran’s Day” message, today is one of his favorite days of the year.

It doesn’t take much but that simple message can make all those years and sacrifices and that commitment I talked about, feel worthwhile.

So, boys and girls, please help me now by giving a huge Grandview round of applause on this Veteran’s Day to these men and women who committed themselves to serving us and our country.

[insert visual of 400 elementary kids, their teachers and several parents standing and clapping for 15-20 veterans here]

If you're a veteran I haven't gotten in touch with today, please know I appreciate the commitment you've role modeled. God Bless you!

No comments: