Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back to Work

I started last Monday working for our local hospital - it is 5 minutes away and where I had Autumn. I'm a per diem occupational therapist (I take overflow and extra hours they have) on the inpatient floors. There are a variety of patients on ICU, acute (ortho, neuro, tele, medicine) and a small TCU. So far I think it is a great fit for this stage in my life! I'm able to work with people and families to help restore their abilities and to be able to return home once again. It has been 2 years since I have worked in a hospital - so it is taking some time and refreshing to remember all the medical terms, specific diagnosis precautions and regain some smoothness in my evaluation abilities. It has been an interesting orientation period for me - the main OT at the hospital had a skiing accident and will be out for a while. Luckily my good friend Elyssa who is also an OT for Banner Health was able to spend a couple of days with me - showing me the ropes and helping me with the not so fun electronic medical records. Today was my first day as the only OTR in the hospital - but luckily the PTs and OTA are great! Other than being grossly inefficient at electronic charting, I think I'm getting the hang of things and will enjoy working there! The other great perk is that I can come home and feed Autumn during my lunch - so I never feel like I've been away for too long! God is good!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

So glad its going well! Isn't God amazing to have put Elyssa there for you?!

Christine said...

Congrats! Glad to hear everything is working out so well. I just love how God works in all the details.