Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Understanding my Mama a little more

This is not a light hearted post. This weekend I came face to face with a bit more understanding. My mother is a baby nurse and for her entire career has walked through different stages of loss and grief with families who loose their tiny babies in the hospital. On top of being directly involved with families she also hears and knows all the confidential background of many many tragic stories.

I am not able to go into detail for confidentiality reasons, but this weekend I was on the outskirt involvement of a family who's story turned the wrong direction. Tragedy involving a child my child's age. A story too close to home, empathy that brought many tears and made it difficult to go in and do my job.

I don't know how my mother didn't have nervous break downs through out the first years of my brother's and I's lives. She knows and has seen too much. She didn't bundle us in bubble wrap or hover over our every move, as much as I'm sure she would have liked too. I tend not to be a fearful or worrying type of person, but everyday as a parent is a battle against fear and worry.

Life continues to point me in the direction of thoughts in the line of "Live and love as much and often as you can because there are no guarantees, life can change in an instant."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mother is a truely amazing women. Her hugs are healing.