Sunday, August 22, 2010

Breastfeeding

Umm... for some reason I have been having breastfeeding thoughts lately. As Autumn approaches a year, friends are interested in when I plan to ween. I've put some thought into it, but kind of just figure I'll just kind of go with whatever. It is so convenient and more and more so, as she eats less often. I love that she is getting antibodies with the nutrients too.

Just few months ago I dreamed of not leaking, having no pain and not having to time exercise around feedings. Making it to a year seemed like a long shot. Now I'm still breastfeeding and all these issues are non-issues - now it seems so much more complicated to store and carry another source of milk, wash bottles, guess how much she will drink... Breastfeeding seems so much easier.

Tonight I was reading some information on breastfeeding into toddlerhood.

In addition to other benefits, with just 15 ounces of breast milk she is getting
  • 29% of energy requirements
  • 43% of protein requirements
  • 36% of calcium requirements
  • 75% of vitamin A requirements
  • 76% of folate requirements
  • 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
  • 60% of vitamin C requirements
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

So, I'll eat my words "once she can ask for 'booby' - I think I'll be done" and see what happens. There are just so many health benefits for her and myself if we continue and I'm not one to care too much about what other people think. Social norms in America say breastfeeding should be done by age one, but most of the world feeds their children human milk until 2-4 years of age... To each her own... every child, unique needs... this is our journey...

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

Why stop now? It's all benefit, no hassle. You and Autumn will figure out when the right time is.