Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gossip

Yesterday I worked up north and listened to a sermon on the radio on the way there.  It was a really great one on gossip and how it hurts everyone involved.  It was certainly convicting, it is so easy to talk about how someone drives you nuts or how you would have done things differently...  

So the essence of the message, was that if what you are saying brings poor lighting on another, don't say it (and same for listening, which is even harder).  If you aren't willing to take your robe off and approach the person humbly (like Jesus did his disciples at the last supper) and confront them on real sin, then you should cover them in love and keep your mouth shut (like Abraham's sons did when his other son went telling everyone he was naked and drunk).  So talking to others about other is really never an option - you either go to them or keep quiet.   When you talk to others you taint them in how they act around the other person and damage your own relationships because people know you talk to others about other peoples problems - why would they confide in you?  Gossip really isn't a grey area - if you are talking negatively about another - judging, sharing about their sins, just making conversation about others problems - then stop.

I've found this to be especially convicting at work - there are some teachers that are really hard to get along with, but that I feel talking to them will only worsen the situation.  It is so easy for us being treated poorly to complain or vent about it to each other.  Not okay, but so hard to walk away from or even not start.   Sigh.... my sinful nature has to be beaten down.  Of course this isn't the only gossip I've taken part in....   help me Lord to be gracious and cover's others sins with love if I haven't been called to confront someone about a situation or problem.  Help me to be gracious in asking others to stop if they start telling me something that I shouldn't know. Help me to walk boldly in confronting situations that you want me to be part of the healing/sharpening process.   May others be able confide in me knowing I have tight lips and a gracious heart. May I take these concerns and irritations to you only and not others.  Create in me a clean heart and give me clean lips oh Lord!

No comments: