Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Common Cold


 
Unfortunately the common cold has been far too common in my life the last 6 years.  Working in clinics, hospitals, schools, moving, travel, having a child and not being scared of public places and transportation – our exposure has been great as well.   Seems like if we go a few months well we celebrate!  This has given me lots of opportunity to figure out get well strategies….  I used to get sinus infections almost everytime I caught a cold – luckily I’ve figured out how to prevent those and have only needed antibiotics a couple of times in those same 6 years.  

Here are my favorite and most beneficial (for me) strategies –

I use Mucinex  - it is guaifenesin that helps your body thin mucus to get it out of your body. It in combination with not taking any kind of decongestant,  I think it has been the #1 thing that has kept me from getting sinus infections.  

I gargle apple cider vinegar at the first sign of a sore throat – it can be cut with water with lemon juice and honey added.  My tolerance has gone up through the years and I can just gargle it straight. 

The neti-pot – last year my Maui mom introduced me to the neti-pot and I will never turn back.  It is good prevention, as well as for getting my sinus cavities drained out – I use saline most of the time and add eucalyptus oil or coconut oil 1-2x a day (both of with are anti-bacterial and fungal).

Hot showers – I take 1-2 warm showers a day.

Breathing Steam – putting water in a sauce pan and bringing to a boil, adding apple cider vinegar and eucalyptus oil drops. I put a towel over my head, close my eyes and take deep breaths.  Today I did this about 5 times and it made a huge difference in my sinuses and lungs.

Rest – I stink at this, but I really try to rest more than usual.

2 comments:

Ashley Beth said...

Good tips, thanks for sharing. The Neti Pot helped me a lot with my allergies when I was really struggling a few years ago. Regular chiropractic care has been a HUGE help in our health in regard to cold/sinus infections especially. The kids finally don't get ear infections anymore, when we do get sick, it sticks around for less time, and we get sick less in general. And no medicine, just gentle adjustments! :)

Lindsay said...

Great tips! Man, it certainly gets old doesn't it?!