Saturday, April 11, 2009

18 and a half weeks

Well, I'm still waiting. On Thursday morning I was at a new school I'm servicing and was explaining to the vice principal why I could not work in the Kindergarten SPED room because of CMV exposure and she said surprised "What, you are pregnant?" So it is conclusive - to the unknowing person - although my uterus is the size of a cantelope - I look very not pregnant. Oh, well ... the day will come. But for now I will enjoy the last few times I fit in my jeans with the button fastened (-: Aaron laughs at me because I want to look "bigger" so people know. I guess it doesn't really matter - but I'm in that funny stage where I look bigger than I'm used to, but not pregnant. I guess it can't happen over night! Here are pictures of 8 1/2 weeks, 14 1/2 weeks and today at 18 1/2 weeks.

Any day now I should feel the baby's movements. For the last couple of weeks I have felt something every now and then, but am never sure that it is the baby. I'm excitedly anticipating the moment when I'm 100% sure that it is the baby. We have decided to hold off until we get back to Colorado for the ultrasound - so sorry no sneak peaks for a while. After reading a few things, I'm just not comfortable with it when there is no medical necessity.

The Baby at 18 weeks: Head to rump, the baby is about 5 1/2 inches long and he weighs about 5-7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs. His hands begin to make grasping motions, and he might even start sucking his thumb. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves. The skeleton that started off as rubbery cartilage is starting to toughen up; and your baby's limbs are lengthening. The umbilical cord, pumped entirely by your baby's heart, can now circulate up to 28 litres (50 pints) of fluid a day.

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

You look pregnant to me! But if people don't know you too well, I can see how it's not obvious enough yet. When I was like 36 weeks pregnant a patient (male) said, "You're pregnant??" I was soooo insulted! I mean duh!!! I just wanted to say, "Do I just look plain FAT?" Gee thanks. My husband was like, "That's a compliment sweetie, you aren't very big."

Ummm, yeah right. I was huge and I still have the stretch marks and sagging skin to prove it. My son was 10 pounds!

That's the one blessing of being pregnant during the summer time Tara! I was at my biggest in winter and the clothes are rather tent-like. So when you're feeling all hot and icky around August, just remember that! Summer pregnant clothes are much cuter. :)