Monday, April 27, 2009

My Heart is Still in Kona

It has now been 14 weeks since we left the Big Island and I'm still waking up in the morning wishing I were there and not here. I know this probably isn't healthy but it is how I really feel. Although my job is now much better than when I arrived, Aaron has a good job here and we do have a few friends - it still isn't home. Somehow in the year we were in Kealakekua - it became home. My friendships grew and I felt like part of the community. Both because I know we are leaving and others know we are leaving - my roots here in Maui are very shallow. Everyday I look forward to our one last visit to the Big Island in June and then moving home to Colorado. I feel like I'm killing time here in Maui (which I have to admit isn't a terrible place to be killing time). I'm just not as invested, I don't know my students very well, we have few people to hang out with in the evening and I am really really missing a few of my friends over on the Big Island. Well - it is life - this is where I will be for the next 6 weeks. It doesn't matter much that I would rather have spent this semester in Kona - there are lots of things I would rather have a different way.

Looking forward - Aaron has been in Loveland for the last few days and in our conversations I'm reminded that this is our permenant home. I'm looking forward to re-establishing our friendships and family time there. I'm sure that althought it will be hard to leave the warm ocean - that once back in Loveland I will quit waking up in the morning wishing I were somewhere else!

No comments: