Friday, June 26, 2009

The Pause Button

I feel like we just released the pause button. Two years passed by in another world for us and now we are back in our house, with our car and our dog. It is a little weird - although things have moved forward here too, many things are the same.

We have spent the last week and a half working on getting our house the way we want it - new paint, new carpet, fixing things, building things and sorting through our belongings and trying to figure out where to put them and what to get rid of. I kind of liked that for 2 years everything that I needed fit in a Honda Civic and then in 6 suitcases to Hawaii. I'm trying to figure out what to keep because I already own it and what I really never needed or used. It is a mixed blessing being an American. Blessed in that "stuff" is not what we lack - and cursed because we really don't need that much and would likely be better off without all of it.
Okay - moving past the stuff...

It is nice to be back - seeing family, friends, the snow capped mountains, thunderstorms, mountain sunsets ... I remember why we loved it here and why we want to raise our family here. It is an unusually wet June, everything is so green and lucky for us the tornados are mostly staying south and east. The cool weather has been nice - I'm gearing up for being 7,8 and 9 months pregnant in the hottest part of the summer (-:

I haven't taken pictures since we got home, but the baby is growing! I'm nearing 30 weeks now and look forward to meeting my delivering Doctor on Monday. The baby's kicks are getting stronger and more frequent - but I think he/she is still on Hawaii time, being most active if I stay up late. The other morning Aaron said he could feel the baby kicking while I slept and wondered how on earth I could sleep through it - I'm not sure, but glad I can.

The baby room is begining to take shape. Aaron's mom and I washed a sea green over a blue green and I love it! It almost looks like the water at Makalawena and the theme will be sea turtles. My mom found a turtle quilt in Waikiki over a year ago that she wanted to get for me "when I got pregnant." I guess her wishful thinking worked. We've set a twin bed up in there and still need to dig out the baby treasures my sister in-law gave me to put in storage before we left.


No comments: