Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumn's Birth Story

Autumn, this is the story of your birth. You are my first child and the story of how you came into this world is one full of blessings, challenges, surprises, patience, joy and complete awe. Your story is a bit longer than most because I started labor 62 hours before you were born. Your Nana Arla did the same thing with Uncle Chad and I had been somewhat worried I'd have a similar experience - and I did. I was blessed that unlike your Nana, at night time my labor slowed down and I was able to get a little bit of rest and it never sped up fast enough for us to be tempted to go to the hospital until it was actually time to need to be there. Here it begins - Labor Day Weekend 2009.

Saturday - I woke up feeling off - not sick, just off. I went to the bathroom and happened to glance and see what I'd read about being a mucus plug, or at least a piece of it. I was excited, as this typically means labor will come in less than a week. We headed over to your Grandma Mary's and Papa Jerry's for lunch with the family and had steaks the size of our heads, as your daddy proclaimed. It was yummy! Both Aunt Kelly and Grandma Mary commented that I just wasn't myself and that it couldn't be too long before you made your appearance. I was tired and having contractions every 30-40 minutes that were quite a bit stronger than any of the Braxton Hicks contractions I had been having. We headed home to rest and get ready to head up to Fort Collins to have dinner with Zach and Marcie. Before we left I saw some more of that mucus plug and was hopeful that this these labor pains were the real thing. The only question was whether you would come that night, the next day or any other day that week? Your dad and I had a nice dinner with our friends, ate lots of fajitas and chips and played some 42 (which Marcie and I came back from 0-5 to win!) On the way home I had a whooper of a contraction and gained new appreciation for living so close to the hospital - all the little bumps made it very difficult to relax. Off to bed we went - I headed for the the couch as it was much more comfortable than our bed because I could snuggle into the back and have more support.

Sunday - I continued to have contractions every 20-30 minutes through the night, but I was able to sleep pretty well on both sides of them. We got ready for church and headed out - I was determined not to stop life, as I had read that it is possible to have this very slow labor for days. That morning I told your dad that I thought labor was going to be a bit tougher than I had originally thought. He kind of chuckled at me and asked what I thought it was going to be. I told him I had really hoped to be one of those lucky women with a pain free labor. At this point the contractions were quite strong and I knew they would have to get stronger, which meant it was going to be pretty intense and painful. After church we called our Doula Kathy to let her know what was going on. She came over that afternoon and went on a quick walk with me. Your Dad was working on our coffee table and I continued to get things like laundry and dishes done around the house. That evening after it got dark your dad and I went on a long walk around our neighborhood. The contractions were about the same, but now about every 10-15 minutes apart. Off to bed (I mean the couch) again. This night the contractions slowed down, as I was timing them on contractionmaster.com and I got several 40-50 minute stretches of sleep. Although they slowed down, they became more intense. At about 2 in the morning I fought a couple of them by tensing my bottom and breathing rapidly and man did they hurt. I crawled into bed with your dad and asked him to help me relax through the next few. At this point I decided to try to mentally focus on my cervix through the contractions and I was then able to keep my bottom relaxed and get through them without as much pain.

Monday - This was Labor Day and so your dad had the day off. I slept in as late a possible and then got up and ready for the day. I told your dad that I wanted to do normal stuff and stay occupied. We took off around 10:30 to get paint for the window well covers and then up to Fort Collins to get RC Airplane fuel for your dad's plane. I had decided a bath would be nice and so we headed over to your Grandma Mary's and Papa Jerry's to eat lunch, use their tub and hang out. All morning my contractions were staying at about 30 minutes apart. We had yummy steak fajitas and I drew my bath. Your dad and Papa Jerry went out to fly his plane. At this point I figured I'd been laboring for about 50 hours and really wanted to know if anything was happening. Against medical advice I'm sure and much to your dad's dismay, I checked myself. Guess what I felt - your head! I knew we had to be close, again I didn't know how close, but close. I waited until we got home to tell your dad that I felt your head and then we started discussing how soon we would head to the hospital. In our Bradely Method class, we were taught it was best to wait until the contractions are about 4-5 minutes apart for over an hour before heading to the hospital. However, a friend of mine said that hers never got closer than 7 minutes apart but got more intense. Being my first time in labor, intensity was rather relative to the previous contraction and so I didn't exactly know at what intensity going to the hospital was justified. Since I had been in labor for so long, we decided that we would head to the hospital that evening to get checked out and if things were not ready we would just come on home. We decided to go on a walk around 5pm and the contractions picked up, and were about 5 minutes apart. Your dad suggested that we head back to the house and later admitted he was worried he'd have to carry me over the fence. We got back to the house and called Kathy to let her know that we were planning on heading to the hospital after we ate some dinner. She thought that was a good idea and planned to meet us there. Earlier in the day Nana Arla had decided to go ahead and come over from Glenwood Springs, as she didn't want me to be home alone on Tuesday if my labor continued to putter along. She got into town around 6 and picked us up some dinner from Mimi's and Noodles and Company. I had chicken soup and we packed everything else we needed in case we got to stay at the hospital. I continued to have contractions 5-8 minutes apart and tried different positions to breathe and relax through them. I liked sitting on the toilet and resting my chest on the couch while on my knees the best. Right before we left your dad posted my contraction chart on facebook and then your Aunt Lisa called to make sure we were headed to the hospital. We took off and Nana followed us so she would know where to go after you were born. They checked us in and sent us to the area of labor and delivery where they see if you are progressed enough to admit to the hospital. Our nurse Clara hooked me up to the monitors and of course my labor slowed way down. The monitor checking you said that you were doing just fine. When she checked my cervix I was 4-5 cm dilated and 70-80% effaced. She called Dr. Slack and he suggested that we walk around for 2 hours and get checked again, as I was right on the border of being progressed enough to stay. Your dad, Kathy and I did laps around the labor and delivery floor between 8 and 10:15 pm. My labor picked back up again and I was having pretty intense contractions every 4-6 minutes. Since I had found the toilet a comfortable place to relax during contractions, we asked if we could have a bedside commode with us. They brought us this huge bariatric bedside commode with no seat on it. Not exactly what I was thinking and after trying it a couple of times, I decided walking close to the bathroom and then going in during a contractions was a much better idea. I think I found every sitting place and leaned on every wall of the unit during those 2 hours. I handled the contractions and relaxed best by continuing to close my eyes, breath normally and focusing on telling my cervix to open up. Instead of tightening my bum, I tried to slightly push the other way. These 2 hours went by very quickly and we headed back to the room where Clara would check us again. Autumn, you were doing great and the contractions were doing their job, as I had opened up to 7 cm dilated. This meant that we got to stay at the hospital and that we were going to get to meet you very soon. After they told me that I was 7 cm I said that my reward was to get to lay in the big bathtub and take a break. Clara called ahead and they ran a nice warm bath for me to get into once we arrived at our room. At Mckee you get to stay in the same room the entire stay as they have everything you need for labor, delivery and postpartum. I lounged in the large jetted tub for about 45 minutes until Dr. Slack arrived. It felt so good to relax through contractions in the warm water. I would have stayed in there all night, but I really did want to meet you. I got out and headed back to the bed where Dr. Slack checked me. I was still at 7 cm as the zero gravity contractions didn't really get me any more open. At that point I knew I would need to walk around some more to get things going again. Dr. Slack offered to break my water as this would likely speed the labor up. He also noted that it would likely become more intense and painful as well. I think I looked at him like he was crazy and said no thank you, I think it is intense enough right now - I'll wait for it to break on it's own. The contractions while lying on the bed were quite miserable and the thought of intentionally making things hurt worse was not fathomable. I changed into the birthing skirt Kathy had given me and a tank top and the three of us headed for the hallway. I made it about 5 steps and had a very intense contraction, then another 3 steps and I stayed in that spot for 3 contractions. They were so intense that the time I gave myself for a break was only long enough for the next contraction and not long enough to take more steps. After the third one I waddled back to the room and got into the tub, sitting on the seat in the back. Your dad held the hand held shower over my belly and legs. Kathy got me a waterproof pillow to lean against, but staying in an upright position so gravity could help. Your dad was so great, he really helped me to stay calm as these contractions were of a variety I had not yet felt. Kathy's support, encouragement, comfort measures and presence was very helpful as well. After about 10 contractions in the shower I decided that I was ready for Dr. Slack to break my bag of waters. The contractions had gotten so intense that I was quite sure I wouldn't notice much more pain and so speeding things up would be okay. I sat on the toilet before I went out to the bed and had another 2 or 3 contractions. They yelled in at me, "You aren't pushing, are you." I assured them I was not and that I didn't want to have you in the toilet. Your dad came in to help me as I couldn't reach the toilet paper. I wanted more paper and this is when your dad thought I was in transition because I guess I was being quite demanding. I made it to the bed and Dr. Slack checked me and had everything ready to break my waters. When he checked I was at 9 1/2 and only one side of my cervix needed a little more opening to be complete and ready. He asked if I still wanted him to break my bag of waters, I didn't want to make the decision and so I didn't answer, hoping he'd just do whatever seemed the best. He went ahead and broke it and I could feel it slowly leak out. Then he had me roll onto my right side as it would help the side of my cervix that needed to dilate. I then had 3 incredibly intense contractions and couldn't help but start pushing. After the next one Dr. Slack asked if I still felt like pushing and I said yes. He then called in the baby nurse and a table full of tools. I then rolled back into the traditional pushing position. I had thought I would like to squat during the pushing stage, as it can open up your pelvis significantly, but the thought of trying to get on to my feet was unthinkable, so I decided I would try this first. After about 4 contractions of me trying to push and then stopping when the pain hit unbearable, Dr. Slack gave us a pep talk that went something like this. "Okay, you have done very well up to this point about getting into your Zen zone and relaxing during contractions. The pushing stage is very different, you need hold your breath long enough that you can use that force to push. You have to push through the pain as right now the baby is coming down just a little bit and then going right back up when you stop." Okay, I got it, if I was going to get this over with I needed to push past unbearable. I would try. About 5 or 6 contraction where I didn't let my breath out when it hurt too bad and you crowned, daddy could see your head and I felt you again. I was sneaky and took longer breaks and breathed through a couple of contractions until I was ready to push again. Between contractions Dr. Slack asked everyone if you were a boy or a girl. Everyone except for your dad and myself were correct. A couple of nights before we were reviewing the boy names we had picked and you kicked only for Andy Aaron. Obviously this didn't mean anything, but it was the only thing we had to guess from. Then right before you were born he had everyone guess your hair color. Mine was black when I was born, so I thought yours would be too. But you were born with beautiful golden colored hair about an inch and a half long. One more big push and your head came out. This was very intense, but Dr. Slack had me stop and asked if he could cut the cord before 90 seconds as it was wrapped around your neck twice. He quickly got to work and cut it off your neck and then had me push you out the rest of the way. He untangled you like a yoyo and your dad said it was like watching an air hockey puck as he unwrapped your cord from around your body and arm. He had you by your ankle and announced that you were a girl and then put you on my belly while the nurse worked on getting you breathing. Dr. Slack said you were the most entangled baby in your cord in the more than 2000 births he'd attended. We were very blessed that you still had enough cord to come out without it tightening. There you were, completely perfect in every way screaming and turning pink. I hate how this moment seems blurry to me now, it was a moment of so much joy, awe, relief that I had done it, exhaustion, exhilaration and complete wonder. You were finally in my arms. After you were born there were so many things to do. I birthed the placenta, they hooked my IV line into Pitocin to limit my bleeding, Dr Slack showed your dad the placenta and where I needed 2 tiny stitches because you decide to come out with your elbow up towards your ear. Before they weighed you, Dr. Slack had us all guess. Dad and I guessed over 7 pounds and the baby nurse shook his head because he knew you were much smaller than that. You were 6 pounds even. Then nurse Clara and I started to work on getting you breastfeeding. It took you a little while to get the hang of it as you wanted to stick your tongue out. Once you got the hang of it you were a champ, only losing 1 1/2 ounces. Most babies loose 4-10 ounces before starting to gain again.

Your dad called your grandparents to let them know we had you - Autumn Keanna Brown, 6 pounds, 19 1/2 inches born at 2:29 am September 8, 2009. We had not told anyone your first name. We both love the season of autumn when it is harvest time, the weather is cooling down, and the leaves are changing colors and it is a beautiful name. Keanna is a Hawaiian name meaning gracious - we wanted you to have a Hawaiian name because you were made in Hawaii and the time your dad and I spent in Hawaii is so very special to us. Your Great Grandma on your Nana's side was named Grace. Grace means unearned favors received from God. Our utmost prayer for you is that God's grace finds you and that you accept it fully.

Nana wanted to give you your first bath, so Granddad Larry and Nana got to the hospital about 30 minutes after you were born. After you had been on my chest over an hour, Nana and the nurse took you for your first bath. You were not much of a fan, but calmed right down after they got you dry and warm. Nana tried to make an old fashioned curl on top of your head with all the hair you had. We all thought it looked more like a mohawk, but now you have a picture like your mommy's newborn picture. After your bath I tried feeding you some more and then you fell asleep. Your dad got a couple hours of sleep, but I was on an adrenaline high and posted pictures of you and announced to all our family and friends that you had been born. I got about 45 minutes of sleep before starting our first day as your parents.

Autumn, welcome to our world, we are so excited to love you unconditionally, learn with you and experience life with you!!!

1 comment:

Ashley Beth said...

What a beautiful birth story. Someday Autumn will treasure it, especially when she is having kids of her own. Isn't the birth of your first child absolutely God-given and magical? Subsequent births are just as miraculous, but that first experience really makes an impression on your heart. It sounds like you did wonderfully & I am so impressed with your pain management skills! Congratulations on the joy and blessing of Autumn and I hope you are loving every minute of that sweet little girl.