Monday, May 23, 2011

Disciplined

Disciplined: To train by instruction and practice, especially to teach self-control to.

Colossians 2:2-4 My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. 5 For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how disciplined you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

Oh dear! I'm afraid that many areas of my life lack discipline. I care not to admit how few times in the last two years I have opened my Bible or quieted myself to meditate. Every time I have attempted to start an exercise routine since Autumn was born, I have gotten a nasty cold and given up.

Time to start - my good friend invited me to start training with her for a triathlon at the end of August. After a short painful run this evening it is apparent that I have my work cut out for me! To finish the race well I will need to work hard, push through pain and build my muscles and endurance. I love the references the Lord uses in the bible to compare races and our faith!

Hebrews 12:1-3
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

So - physical training and faith training - they are meant to be a regular part of my life all the time. It isn't easy - it takes instruction, practice, and self-control (perseverance)! So, here's to being more disciplined! The race is August 28th, training started today! My goal is to not only be ready for the race but to build healthy physical and faith habits that will continue on past race day! Lord I am yours - help me to be more disciplined so that you can use me more effectively to bring you glory!!!

No comments: