Friday, October 28, 2011

Passion

I've recently started volunteering on Thursday evenings at the Pregnancy Center here in Kona. The gal who runs it came to our church a few weeks ago and said that they needed volunteers. I instantly new I desired to help, I wasn't sure in what capacity, but I could feel God tugging on my heart strings and I had excitement about it. The first day we did the initial interview to see what might be a good fit for my skills. I would be allowed to train to do ultrasounds because I'm an OT, but because we're trying to get pregnant I decide that wasn't a good fit (there is research that ties excessive exposure to miscarriage). Based on my interests and their need we decided I would train to do earn while you learn, a program where costumers can earn gift cards to Target while watching informational videos on an array of topics and hopefully teach a few classes on other nights. Everyone learns to do all the office tasks and so my first couple of weeks were spent doing that. Last week I got to sit in on an initial interview and that was good. I won't be here long enough to train to be a full on peer counselor, but may need to do the initial intake if no one else is there to do it when I'm there.

This brings us to today and my passion. This evening I showed up and the other volunteer said there was an Earn While you Learn couple there, would I like to do it with them? Sure, why not - learn while I go. I got everything set up and the next lesson on her list was one without a video. She asked if we could do one with a video, since this was her SO's first time attending. The next video was SIDS - reducing the risks. Unfortunately and fortunately this is a topic I know well. I'm well versed and read on the most recent findings. The video was fairly outdated as it showed loose blankets over young infants and crib bumpers. The information was pretty good, but I'm going to try and find one on the most recent recommendations for the center. I was able to print out the firstcandle guidelines to supplement the information. After talking to the director, she asked if I would like to teach a regular class on SIDS prevention at the center. I'm so excited to have the opportunity to share my passion for life saving information in our community. The more I've thought about it, I think I want to pair it with a pre-natal nutrition class. Hopefully this will work out!

1 comment:

Ashley Beth said...

See there! God knew just the right person to put into this job, and I'm certain for even more reasons than are obvious right now. Bless your work and bless those women and babies you encounter.

I just started a few weeks ago at the pregnancy center here in town. Right now I'm just learning the ropes but can already see God working in my heart. It's such a blessing to be able to share hope with people who find themselves in "hopeless" situations. In Christ there is ALWAYS hope!