Monday, April 2, 2012

Parenting

There are many many things I love about being a mommy!  Hugs, kisses, caring for her needs - meals, teaching, baths...  and of course playtime.  I knew there would be one part of parenting that would not be easy or fun - and it is not - discipline.   The days that go by without thinking about it much are great!  The days like yesterday that feel like you are a disciplinarian all day long are exhausting.  Today I read more of Boundaries with Kids by Cloud & Townsend.  It is a Christian book that my Maui mom suggested.  The biggest take home at this point is that at this age - my job is to set appropriate boundaries and her job is to test them to the full extent to figure out what reality is.  Children that lack good boundaries struggle a lot in life - so far the book is really good Christian parenting theory and motivation to stand firm on the boundaries - you only have to last one more time than your child.  Some children test and push harder than others - but it is reassuring to hear over and over that it is so worth the exhaustion.  All this said, I still have a lot to work on in the area of patience and kind firmness and other stuff too - but I after yesterday, I needed the reassurance that she will by far benefit from our expectations being consistent and firm.

No comments: