Friday, January 7, 2011

Nursing Home

Well, I just finished my first 4 day in a row stretch of working since June 2009. It wasn't bad - my job is very rewarding even though it is hard work. For another 9 weeks I will be at a SNF (nursing home) in Colfax helping elderly people gain independence.

Hardest Moments of the last 7 days:
Having Autumn cry at the door as I leave and then peer out the windows to watch me drive away.
Having Autumn scream Mommy at the top of her lungs when I hand her off to Aaron at O dark thirty in the morning and have to leave.
Today having my client with a neurological disorder cry because he no longer is well enough to live with his wife or care for himself.
Watching clients decline in function or give up.
Foul odors.

Best Moments (at work):
Being asked to be the primary OT by a family and then the mom said - "if you'd have been here 2 months ago he'd already be doing all these things."
Conversations with clients about their families and lives.
Being told I look 16 by a funny woman (-:
Watching clients gain independence and confidence in order to return home.

No comments: