Tuesday, January 11, 2011

More Fat Please!

For most of my life I have tried to figure out how to shop for low fat foods. Although I have always fed Autumn high fat foods, her weight gain had been minimal between 12-15 months and we have been trying to figure out how to add calories to her diet! After cruising the grocery store and reading up, these are the things we have tried to add to her wholesome diet!

She will not drink milk - so after several attempts of adding coco, vanilla, warming it... I thought I would try adding half and half to her orange juice that she loves! White juice was born - she downs it no problem and sometimes I've even been adding heavy cream instead of 1/2 and 1/2. I tried it - it tastes like a creamsicle.
Half and Half - 1 Tablespoon = 20 calories, 1.73 g fat
Heavy Cream - 1 Tablespoon = 51 calories, 5.5 g fat

Butter - on anything!! Mixed in the pasta, added to eggs, on toast, in potatoes, on vegies

Coconut butter is a tasty treat I found at the food Coop here. 1 Tablespoon = 57 calories, 5 g fat I add it to peanut butter on toast or mix in warm oatmeal.

Peanut butter - goes on crackers, on toast, in applesauce, in yogurt - anything really! 1 Tablespoon = 94 calories, 8 g fat

Higher Fat Yogurts -
Greek Gods Pomegranate - 6oz = 230 calories, 17 g fat
Dannon naturals plain yogurt - 8oz = 160 calories, 8 g fat (reasonably priced at Walmart)
Fage Total Greek Yogurt - 8 oz = 300 calories, 23 g fat

I feed her yogurt plain, with applesauce, and in oatmeal.

Cheese - on whole grain pasta, plain, on crackers, cream cheese, cottage cheese... I've even caved and started feeding her natural mac and cheese. She loves it! Aaron made it with 1/2 and 1/2 instead of milk.

Confessions of an obsessive mother: I've had to break some of my rules to increase her diet - mostly in the area of sugar. Up until 3 weeks ago I had tried not to feed her anything with processed sugar, not even cane sugar - only plain yogurt, no sweet treats (cookies, ice cream...). She had plenty of fructose and other sugars found naturally in fruits and vegetables. The flavored yogurts I'm now feeding her, have cane sugar in them and because she has started asking for them when we are eating them, I let her have bites of cookies/ice cream every now and then. I still plan to keep her sugar intake as small as possible, but am trying to be less neurotic about it. I had also decided I didn't want her having processed crackers - and found that rice cakes and veggie straws had way fewer and more natural ingredients. However in the quest to up the calories - I'm now feeding her cheddar whales and ritz crackers as well.

No comments: