Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Grace

Today is Grace's 3rd birthday, she is the daughter of my very close friend. All week tears have dropped from my eyes as I think about her coming birthday. Grace is in heaven with Jesus and is terribly missed here on earth. My brain is not really capible of grasping the loss of a child. This post is me processing some of my thoughts on life pertaining to the things Grace and her life have taught me.

Grace is unmerited favor, to be loved and favored without earning it. Grace is the greatest gift God gives each one of us. Being gracious is something that does not come naturally to me, but is the way God desires me to live. When I think of Grace I try to remember my calling to be gracious.

Life is unpredictable and fragile - loss makes me want to hold on to things tighter and also not as tight. Being acutely aware that life can change in a second makes me want to balance between cherishing people more deeply because they here now and also give them to God now in my mind. I'm sure this is a defense mechanism but it is what works for me. I say I love you to my friends and tell my family I love them more often. I want to live a life full of love, caring deeply about people and caring less about things.

Heaven - I know myself and everyone around me has a certain number of days to live and those should be lived out fully for the Lord. The knowledge of this makes me long more deeply for the day that I'm in Heaven worshiping God in a world without suffering, grief, pain and loss. The older I get the more people in my life I will loose, this is a certainty - heaven is where we meet again and the only place where life will be complete.

Each year on Grace's birthday my friend desires to remember and honor Grace's life by toasting balloons with a special reading. We celebrate her life and also grieve that she is not with us. We love her and miss her. I want Autumn to know the Watson's oldest child, who she was and who she is. To share in someday better understanding the gift of life and sting of loss. It is complicated, life is complicated - I hate that Grace isn't here - I hate the sting of death - I hate that my friend doesn't get to watch her little girl grow up. We will remember and honor Grace through out life and today will always be her special day.

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

Thank you dear, dear friend.