Friday, June 17, 2011

Learning more about nutrition

History: I've spent the last 15 years trying to eat healthy and take care of my body. I learned a lot about nutrition in the 90's and got skinny in middle school - but nutrition became an unhealthy obsession. In high school to compete in basketball it was better that I bulk up and not be so consumed with calories. I still ate pretty healthy but ate enough to put on muscle and was my heaviest (sans pregnancy) my senior year after 4 years of weight training and high school athletics. In college I watched what I ate, but never really had any specific goals - lower fat and moderate calories, but not skipping desserts. I became more interested in alternative sports such as backpacking, climbing, biking and hiking. I still ran occasionally in spurts, played rec basketball and soccer, Frisbee and other fun things with friends. In grad school I exercised fairly often with Kaitlin doing weights, runs and a few swims. Again food was not a focus, but not to be ignored either. While in Hawaii I made a few changes that I think are more healthy - I try really really hard not to buy any products with high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated fats. During pregnancy and breastfeeding (which has not ended yet) I did and have done a better job of balancing healthy fats - such a cottage cheese, yogurt with fat, nuts, and using a bit more oil when I cook. I also try to feed us more whole fruits, veggies and grains.

What I've learned that I wish I had known in high school - as I've been reading about triathlon training nutrition I now believe optimal performance and muscle tone comes when you eat properly right after an exercise session. My goal is not weight loss - but greater endurance and speed and after a run/bike/swim/hike... your muscles have depleted their store of glycogen and need replacing. This advise is mostly for people who are exercising 5-7x a week - if exercising less your body is recovering the lost glycogen on the days you take off. If you wait too long after exercising the benefits are not as great. Experts recommend eating a carbo/protein appetizer within 15 minutes of finishing exercise. Ideas for the post workout appetizer are - a few slices of turkey/tuna/chicken on a bagel, a fruit/greek yogurt/milk shake, chocolate milk, peanut butter toast, cheese and crackers, dried nuts and fruit, sushi (bananas, potatoes and raisins have higher potassium).

2 comments:

djrepshire said...

Thanks for sharing this! Sounds like the training is going well?!

Tara Brown said...

Training is going pretty well! Feeling pretty solid in all three areas - but know that the run will take the most brain power (-: I'm excited to get to Hawaii and see if training at elevation proves helpful!