Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dolphins


On Sunday we met some of Aaron's college friends at Kamakahonu beach for some fun. Everyone else was getting ready for a snorkel when we spotted a pod of spinner dolphins in the bay. All the SUPs and kayaks were rented except for a single kayak - so Autumn and I hoped on in and took off. At first I thought the dolphins had gone, but their were still a bunch of kayaks and SUPs sitting around out further. We kept paddling and then we spotted the dorsal fins coming right at us. Blowholes grunting, tails flapping, jumping... they just made circle after circle around all the people. What a show! Autumn saw them and had such a ball. They stuck around so long that she finally got bored and decided she needed to be the one paddling! We head back to the beach with her holding onto the middle of the paddle 'helping' me. I was certainly a moment imprinted in my mind for ever! Autumn has been with us when we see them from the shore, but I don't think she has ever actually seen them. So this was fun for her to really experience them!

After some beach play we all headed back out on SUP boards, me with Autumn sitting on the front of my board. Amazingly the dolphins were still hanging out, and this time closer to we didn't have to paddle very far. Again they came feet from our board and jumped all around us. Autumn would exclaim "dolphins jump" and one would come flying out of the water less than 20 feet away! Crazy crazy fun!!!

What a treasure - I definitely had the "I love this place, I never want to leave" thoughts while we were out there! God is so great and we get to experience his creation in such a beautiful way all the time!

No comments: